Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
LAST UPDATE: October 9, 2019
At Lutron, we understand the importance of protecting personal information. The personal information that you provide to us will be treated with respect, and subject to this policy and as permitted or required by law, will not be collected, used or disclosed without your consent. We have business procedures and security safeguards in place to protect personal information under our control.
1. Application and Scope
2. Definition of Personal Information
3. Collection and Use of Personal Information
In certain sections of our website, we may ask you for personal information or you may submit personal information, such as your name, image, contact information and/or financial information, in the context of our offer of a service or the carrying out a transaction that you have requested, for instance: (i) when you submit an inquiry, (ii) when you submit audio, photographs and other images, reviews, opinions, comments, essays, captions and other text, video clips, and other user content (including personal information included therein or connected therewith) through the Customer Ratings & Review service, the Customer Gallery service or otherwise, (iii) when you participate in a contest, (iv) when you search for a qualified Lutron dealer or distributor in your area, or (v) when you make a purchase.
Generally, we may use the personal information we collect through our website for the following purposes, or as otherwise required or permitted by law:
- for internal training and quality assurance purposes;
- to understand and assess the interests, wants and changing needs of visitors with a view to improving our products and services and developing new ones; and
- to communicate with you to provide you with marketing communications (including, without limitation, promotional offers, new feature announcements, as well as information concerning additional products and services that may be of interest to you) when you create a new account;
- to personalize our advertisements to ensure that such advertisements are of relevance for you; and/or
- to conduct surveys on the quality of our products, services or customer service.
When possible, rather than using personal information, we will anonymize (i.e. remove personal information) and/or aggregate personal information so that it no longer identifies an individual, and use it for the purposes mentioned above or any legal purpose.
Technical information.When you visit our website, we may also collect technical information, using electronic means, such as cookies. This information may include information about your visit to our website, including the IP address of your computer and which browser you used to view our website, your operating system, screen resolution, location, language settings in browsers, the site you came from, keywords searched (if arriving from a search engine), the number of page views, information you entered, advertisements you have seen, etc. This data is used to measure and improve the effectiveness of our website or enhance the experience for our visitors. We treat this information as personal information when it is associated with your account or contact information. As examples, we collect and use the following type of information when you visit and/or interact with us on our website:
- Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics, which allows us to see information on user website activities including, but not limited to, page views, source and time spent on our website. This information is depersonalized and is displayed as numbers, meaning that it cannot be tracked back to individuals. You may opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
- Google Ads. We use Google Ads Remarketing and Conversion Tracking to track information on user web searches. Google Ads Remarketing allows us to advertise Lutron across the Internet and to advertise to previous users of our website on third-party websites (including Google). Google Ads Remarketing will display ads to you based on what parts of our website you have viewed by placing a cookie on your web browser. It could mean that we advertise to previous visitors who have not completed a task on our website or that we advertise on the Google search results page or a site in the Google Display Network. This cookie does not identify you in any way or give us access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is only used to indicate to other websites that you have visited a particular page on our website, so that they may show you ads relating to that page. Google Ads Conversion Tracking places a cookie on your web browser if you have reached our website via a Google ad. If you visit our website during the cookie’s 30-day validity period, Lutron and Google recognize that someone has clicked on the ad and was forwarded to our website. As a Google Ads customer, we are informed of the total number of users that have clicked on a Google ad and were redirected to our webpage (which has the conversion tracking tag). If you do not wish to participate in our Google Ads Remarketing and Conversion Tracking, you can opt out by visiting Google’s Ads Preferences Manager.
- Behavioral Advertising. We work with third parties, such as ad networks and other advertising companies that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our website and other websites in order to provide you with tailored advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity across your different devices on our website and third party websites and apps (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites and apps. We adhere to the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s (DAAC) Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioural Advertising. For more information about interest-based advertising, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioural ads from participating third-party advertising companies, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website as at http://youradchoices.ca/choices. To learn more about interest-based advertising in mobile applications and to opt out of this type of advertising by third-party advertising companies that participate in the DAAC’s AppChoices tool, please download the version of AppChoices for your device at https://youradchoices.ca/appchoices/.
4. Sharing of Personal Information
Lutron may make your information available to third parties as follows or as otherwise permitted or required by law:
- Lutron dealers and distributors. We may share your personal information with our qualified dealers and distributors in response to your express request for a referral and/or for purposes of fulfilling a customer product order.
- Service providers. We may hire service providers to perform services on our behalf. This may include, without limitation, a person or an organization retained by Lutron to perform work on its behalf, such as to process a payment and/or to transport goods. We provide them with a limited amount of information necessary in order for them to provide the services required. Lutron will strive to protect personal information disclosed to its service providers by contractual agreements.
- Contest and marketing partners. We may collaborate with other companies in contests or other marketing activities. When you participate in contests or other marketing activities on our website, we may share the personal information we collect about you with our partners. In such case, we will inform you of our partners’ identity.
- As permitted or required by law. From time to time, Lutron may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation or other legally valid request or inquiry. We may also disclose information to our accountants, auditors, agents and lawyers in connection with the enforcement or protection of our legal rights. We also reserve the right to report to law enforcement agencies any activities that we, in good faith, believe to be unlawful, in an emergency or where required or permitted by law. We may release certain personal information when we have reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of others and ourselves, in accordance with or as authorized by law.
- Business transaction. While we do not anticipate any such transactions, in the future, we may disclose personal information to a third party in connection with a sale or transfer of business or assets, an amalgamation, re-organization or financing of parts of our business. However, in the event the transaction is completed, your personal information will remain protected by applicable privacy laws. In the event the transaction is not completed, we will require the other party not to use or disclose your personal information in any manner whatsoever and to completely delete such information.
5. Right to Withdraw Consent
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use and sharing of personal information at any time, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice. Note that if you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide you with certain of our products or services, and you may not be able to participate in our contests.
6. Privacy Policies of Third Parties
7. Personal Information Outside of Canada
8.Security of Personal Information
We will use reasonable security measures to protect your personal information against unauthorized access. Lutron has implemented security measures that contain administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to safeguard your personal information.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected and for which consent was received, unless otherwise authorized or required by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified purposes will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
10. Access and Correction
Lutron respects your rights to access and correct your personal information. To exercise such rights, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the How to Contact Us section below.
11. How to Contact Us